Birthing Class Two - "Now this might hurt a little..."
Second class. One word. Pain.
Two and a half hours about pain. What to do about it; how long it lasts; how to find some relief, etc. Pain pain pain. Or, as some books from the 50's and early 60's like to put it: "discomfort". Somewhere along the way they stopped being so PC about it and started calling it like they saw it, I guess.
Truthfully, after an hour and a half of learning Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Epidurals (But Were Afraid To Ask) from a mild-mannered anesthesiologist in scrubs, the subject started to get a little boring.
It wasn't all bad. I think it bothers Jack more than me; though I will say that the video we watched on pain management techniques was enough for me to firmly stick I-Am-Ready-For-My-Closeup-Epidural,-Mr.-DeMille in my back pocket and leave it there as an option, ready to pull out when I need it. I'm not sure that it will be Pain with a capital P that drives me to it; rather, exhaustion. I get a little desperate when I'm exhausted. Not my finest hours.
So we'll see. We're taking a "wait and see" approach to the whole pain/medication option; which, according to some literature we were handed, is an extremely rare attitude to have. (Really? Rare? I don't see how I could possibly make a hard and fast decision in this area having never experienced it before. Then again, see also our baby-naming to know how good we are with making hard and fast decisions.)
I have to retract my assertion from last week that at least one of the mommies in the group was out to punch me and steal my lunch money - she made cupcakes for the group this week, so she is now forgiven.
(I'd make a terrible superhero:
SuperKatheryn: "Unhand that woman - I am here to apprehend you and bring you to justice!!"
Dangerous Criminal: "Uh...uh...here's a cupcake."
SuperKatheryn: "Ah...you are free to go!")
The whole class, in fact, lightened up a lot, though there are still several women in the group who don't smile. To which I say: how can you not smile when there's CUPCAKES AVAILABLE??? Weirdos.
Also, we watched a video that included seeing a placenta being 'born'; which, if you've never seen that, you can probably go to your grave without doing so, relatively secure in knowing you've led a good, full life. Talk about weird! "Heyyy...who left that enormous gray water balloon in there??"
Next week however, we go visit the Birthing Center - hooray! The birthing suites at Meriter are pretty awesometastic from the sound of it, but I'll wait until next week to tell you all about it. In the meantime, now I want a cupcake.
Two and a half hours about pain. What to do about it; how long it lasts; how to find some relief, etc. Pain pain pain. Or, as some books from the 50's and early 60's like to put it: "discomfort". Somewhere along the way they stopped being so PC about it and started calling it like they saw it, I guess.
Truthfully, after an hour and a half of learning Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Epidurals (But Were Afraid To Ask) from a mild-mannered anesthesiologist in scrubs, the subject started to get a little boring.
It wasn't all bad. I think it bothers Jack more than me; though I will say that the video we watched on pain management techniques was enough for me to firmly stick I-Am-Ready-For-My-Closeup-Epidural,-Mr.-DeMille in my back pocket and leave it there as an option, ready to pull out when I need it. I'm not sure that it will be Pain with a capital P that drives me to it; rather, exhaustion. I get a little desperate when I'm exhausted. Not my finest hours.
So we'll see. We're taking a "wait and see" approach to the whole pain/medication option; which, according to some literature we were handed, is an extremely rare attitude to have. (Really? Rare? I don't see how I could possibly make a hard and fast decision in this area having never experienced it before. Then again, see also our baby-naming to know how good we are with making hard and fast decisions.)
I have to retract my assertion from last week that at least one of the mommies in the group was out to punch me and steal my lunch money - she made cupcakes for the group this week, so she is now forgiven.
(I'd make a terrible superhero:
SuperKatheryn: "Unhand that woman - I am here to apprehend you and bring you to justice!!"
Dangerous Criminal: "Uh...uh...here's a cupcake."
SuperKatheryn: "Ah...you are free to go!")
The whole class, in fact, lightened up a lot, though there are still several women in the group who don't smile. To which I say: how can you not smile when there's CUPCAKES AVAILABLE??? Weirdos.
Also, we watched a video that included seeing a placenta being 'born'; which, if you've never seen that, you can probably go to your grave without doing so, relatively secure in knowing you've led a good, full life. Talk about weird! "Heyyy...who left that enormous gray water balloon in there??"
Next week however, we go visit the Birthing Center - hooray! The birthing suites at Meriter are pretty awesometastic from the sound of it, but I'll wait until next week to tell you all about it. In the meantime, now I want a cupcake.

Comments
Post a Comment