Water Baby
Welcome to the third trimester, y'all! In two weeks I'll be 3/4 of the way through. Can you believe it?
I’m not sure if this is the same for every pregnant lady, but I desire being in the water almost as much as I desire that Snickers bar you are not eating that is in your desk drawer. Yeah, you know the one I’m talking about. Pregnant ladies know where EVERY snack is hidden. Okay, maybe it’s not a Snickers bar. Maybe it’s a box of dried cranberries, or some pretzels, or a half-eaten jelly donut. The point is, I KNOW ABOUT IT.
Anyway: water. I’ve been addicted to my bathtub since I got pregnant. Not only has the sanctuary of the bath been comforting on days when things feel overwhelming, the buoyancy is becoming more and more useful in helping with my aches and pains; which are becoming more and more prevalent. Now I find myself not being satisfied with just the bathtub – I want bigger, better…I want….a SWIMMING POOL.
Now don’t get me wrong; there are places to swim here. Why, there is a lake I could probably walk to if I wanted to, that has a small beach. However, the lakes around here, while incredibly beautiful, are not always the most sanitary of retreats; and frankly, due to my friend who is a PhD limnologist here at UW, I know more about the contents of that water than I’d like. Still, I admit that when we went canoeing a few weekends ago, I was still tempted to jump in, knowing that I would rise to the surface and bob there like a giant fishing lure.
So I am thrilled to announce that this overwhelming desire for immersion in an antiseptic, chlorinated, fabricated, man-made pool of water (well, that and an incredibly low air fare) has beaten back my severe phobia of planes, and I will be visiting Texas at the end of June. During which time I plan to be in as many pools as possible. Were I feeling spunkier, I would even call Guinness and see if I could make it a world’s record. However, since it now takes me about 30 minutes to just get in and out of the car, I believe I will keep it to a minimum.
Seriously, I am very excited about seeing my Gran, who will be 92 in September (and at this point is probably more mobile than me). I’m also anxiously anticipating seeing my nieces and nephew, who have occupied my thoughts daily. And I'm just homesick for everyone and everything. This is one of the last weeks I can safely travel, and the last chance I have to see anyone for quite a while. (They're still making me take my pre-natal records with me in case of an emergency, "...just in case, so people know you're pregnant." I not-so-graciously snorted at this; people, how could you miss it? Lying on a bed I look like a watermelon someone's balanced end to end. I doubt there will be any question!)
Considering I wasn’t able to get there for Christmas last year, this is pretty important to me as far as how much I miss everyone. And yes, truthfully, my fear of flying has, in part, prevented me from being more proactive in getting there before now. But at this point I am relying on the ever-increasing The Stupids to get me through. You can’t fear something if you’ve forgotten what you’re doing in the first place, right?
Oh, and I have purchased this swimsuit. Isn’t it the cutest thing ever?

Incidentally, BGB either loves the water, or hates it; she is very responsive when I take baths, and appears to actually be trying to climb out of my belly button to either join me in the water or escape it entirely - one of the two. I imagine the whale sounds she hears must be hilarious.
I’m not sure if this is the same for every pregnant lady, but I desire being in the water almost as much as I desire that Snickers bar you are not eating that is in your desk drawer. Yeah, you know the one I’m talking about. Pregnant ladies know where EVERY snack is hidden. Okay, maybe it’s not a Snickers bar. Maybe it’s a box of dried cranberries, or some pretzels, or a half-eaten jelly donut. The point is, I KNOW ABOUT IT.
Anyway: water. I’ve been addicted to my bathtub since I got pregnant. Not only has the sanctuary of the bath been comforting on days when things feel overwhelming, the buoyancy is becoming more and more useful in helping with my aches and pains; which are becoming more and more prevalent. Now I find myself not being satisfied with just the bathtub – I want bigger, better…I want….a SWIMMING POOL.
Now don’t get me wrong; there are places to swim here. Why, there is a lake I could probably walk to if I wanted to, that has a small beach. However, the lakes around here, while incredibly beautiful, are not always the most sanitary of retreats; and frankly, due to my friend who is a PhD limnologist here at UW, I know more about the contents of that water than I’d like. Still, I admit that when we went canoeing a few weekends ago, I was still tempted to jump in, knowing that I would rise to the surface and bob there like a giant fishing lure.
So I am thrilled to announce that this overwhelming desire for immersion in an antiseptic, chlorinated, fabricated, man-made pool of water (well, that and an incredibly low air fare) has beaten back my severe phobia of planes, and I will be visiting Texas at the end of June. During which time I plan to be in as many pools as possible. Were I feeling spunkier, I would even call Guinness and see if I could make it a world’s record. However, since it now takes me about 30 minutes to just get in and out of the car, I believe I will keep it to a minimum.
Seriously, I am very excited about seeing my Gran, who will be 92 in September (and at this point is probably more mobile than me). I’m also anxiously anticipating seeing my nieces and nephew, who have occupied my thoughts daily. And I'm just homesick for everyone and everything. This is one of the last weeks I can safely travel, and the last chance I have to see anyone for quite a while. (They're still making me take my pre-natal records with me in case of an emergency, "...just in case, so people know you're pregnant." I not-so-graciously snorted at this; people, how could you miss it? Lying on a bed I look like a watermelon someone's balanced end to end. I doubt there will be any question!)
Considering I wasn’t able to get there for Christmas last year, this is pretty important to me as far as how much I miss everyone. And yes, truthfully, my fear of flying has, in part, prevented me from being more proactive in getting there before now. But at this point I am relying on the ever-increasing The Stupids to get me through. You can’t fear something if you’ve forgotten what you’re doing in the first place, right?
Oh, and I have purchased this swimsuit. Isn’t it the cutest thing ever?

Incidentally, BGB either loves the water, or hates it; she is very responsive when I take baths, and appears to actually be trying to climb out of my belly button to either join me in the water or escape it entirely - one of the two. I imagine the whale sounds she hears must be hilarious.

Comments
Post a Comment