Since We Can't Move To Texas, We're Moving Down the Road

Shirley, my mother in law, brought up an excellent point about our two staircases and three levels of living space - that we will need to have a baby changing station on every level, as well as a lie down/nursing space for me; not to mention all the many toys and accoutrements that will live...where? Which room? She pointed out that going up and down and up and down multiple levels every time I have to change a diaper will get old. She's right.

We had not intended to change addresses until we left the state, but the more we thought about it, the more we thought it might actually be a good idea. For one thing, our parking area is uncovered, and on a slant. I slipped and fell several times this winter when it was covered in ice. I've lived in mortal fear of the same thing happening while holding a car seat full of infant ever since.

I won't even begin to go into the issues we have with the noise next door and the neighbors. I'll let Jack tell you about that sometime. Let's just say that if our baby was crying, they'd never know. And I don't think they want to be around the first day they wake up MY baby after I spend a few hours getting him to sleep. Pleasant and charming on no sleep, I am not.

There are other things we've wanted for some time as well - more space, another functional room, a garage, a yard big enough to plant a vegetable garden, a dining room, and so on.

We went hunting and found a house on the north side of town that has all those things. It's all on one floor except for the basement, which is finished and functional (unlike our unfinished basement Jack currently uses as an office). It's more expensive, but seems to be better insulated than this drafty place where we live now (we currently pay ridiculous energy bills; it all flies out the windows and under the doors). It's further away from both our jobs, but Jack can still take the bus downtown, and perhaps by fall we can afford a cheap second car. He assured me it was worth the extra bus time.

So we are moving in late May into what we hope will be a more autonomous, quiet, baby-friendly home.

And after listening to the kids next door destroy the basement this afternoon, may I say: we can't wait.

Comments

Popular Posts