The Follies of Youthful Pride - Revisited During Caffeine Withdrawal

There are a couple of things I've discovered that make being pregnant a lot easier. The first is decaf coffee.

I admit I was a real brat in the past when it came to decaf. "Decaf?!?" I scorned. "What's the point?" I figured it must only be for old people - the only people I'd ever seen drink it - who must, I assumed, be drinking it because of health problems. Poor, decrepit old people who can't even drink REAL COFFEE anymore. What sad and sundry lives they must lead, I mused.

Ohhhhh....such arrogance! Such cheek!

I gave up caffeine for lent pregnancy, and was pretty cocky about it for a couple of months. "Hahahaha - look at this - I do not miss caffeine at all! Who cares about coffee? Lalalala...."

But a month later I wanted a coffee very much. Oh sweet and steamy beverage...

In the mornings I watched my husband drink his coffee with longing. He looked so happy.

In a moment of desperation I bought some Folgers decaf singles at the grocery store - disguised of course, so that no one could see me bowing to this state. But...

They weren't bad. And once I bought some flavored creamer I liked, I really couldn't tell the difference if I let it steep long enough. Hooray for decaf! Humbled; chastened, I now sip my decaf with silent submissive apologies to all the old people I ever silently mocked in my head at Denny's.

The second revelation I've made in the last few days is Caffeine-Free Coke. It took so long to find it on the shelf at the grocery store I feared they didn't make it anymore. But there it was, dusty and overlooked in the corner.

Coke is another thing I gave up - not only for the caffeine, but for the sugar too. And similarly, I smugly assumed I'd be fine. After all, I rarely drank Coke - maybe once on the weekends here and there. I'd drink Sprite when I really needed a soda.

This lasted about three weeks longer than the coffee strike. So decaf Coke it was. And it was freaking AWESOME!!

You might be thinking, she spends a LOT of time talking about food/drinks.
Well, I'm pregnant. It's all I think about! When I'm not thinking about baby names, of course.

Comments

  1. Ha. Friend, I'm going to have a gift for you next time I see you. Folgers decaf singles forsooth.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts